Small fire had big potential at St. Columba

Light bulb in storage area sparks blaze

A small fire started inside a storage area Tuesday night at St. Columba Catholic Church in Durango. Someone smelled smoke, called firefighters and extinguished the fire. Enlarge photo

Courtesy of David Torres

A small fire started inside a storage area Tuesday night at St. Columba Catholic Church in Durango. Someone smelled smoke, called firefighters and extinguished the fire.

Firefighters responded to a small fire Tuesday night at St. Columbia Catholic Church in Durango.

The fire was reported at 8:28 p.m. in the administrative building between the church and St. Columba School, 1801 East Second Ave.

The blaze started in a storage area that was designed to house an elevator, but the elevator was never installed, Hanks said. Storage items fell against a light bulb, which started the fire, she said.

Someone inside the building smelled smoke and reported the fire.

“Luckily, there were some people that were in the building, smelled the smoke and made the call,” Hanks said. “If there hadn’t been anybody in the building, that would have been an entirely different story.”

Occupants were able to douse the flames. Firefighters checked for hot spots and helped ventilate smoke.

shane@durangoherald.com

View other articles on our locator map.

Comments » Read and share your thoughts on this story